Candida Secrets
≡ Menu

Is Threelac Safe and Effective?

Threelac is one of the most popular Candida treatment products on the market today, but I am beginning to have some serious questions about its safety.

I tried the product myself a couple years ago and had a very negative experience. I developed what I believe was a bacterial infection. It gave me a high fever, sore throat, chills, shivers, shakes, sweats, and severe vaginal yeast infection.

My son tried it as well and he got much sicker than I did. His fever was very high, sore throat, chills, migraine, and sweats. He tells me he was so sick he couldn’t get out of bed for two days.

I was rather perplexed and quite disappointed in our experience, because I had heard such great things about it and I was really hopeful that it was going to be effective. Before buying the product I had done a little research, and at the time I couldn’t find any bad reviews about it.

At first I thought our experience was unique, so I just chalked it up to our body chemistry for the time being. However, as time went on I discovered more facts that raised quite a few questions.

Over at curezone.com Candida forum I found quite a few people who shared bad experiences and opinions about the product and some even feel it is a scam.

The most disturbing fact I stumbled upon is that Threelac contains a bacteria called Enterococcus Faecalis. This is an opportunistic pathogen that can make you very sick. A lot of countries, like Australia and Canada don’t allow products that contain this bacteria in their country.

There’s a great deal of disagreement in the alternative health field over this ingredient and proponents of Threelac argue that they use a different strain that is supposedly not harmful. Well, my feeling is that even if that’s true, I wouldn’t want to take the risk of any strain. My own experience proved to me that my body developed an infection.

I decided that people should really know that not everyone is having great experiences with Threelac and I posted my review of Threelac on my site so that people could hear both sides of the story and make an informed decision.

After I posted my review on my site, I started to get quite a few customers who shared with me that they got very sick from taking it. I also get a lot of emails from people who thank me for sharing my honest experience and say they have experienced the same thing.

Last week I received an email from someone who says that when they started taking Threelac it gave them stabbing pain in their perineum, the shakes and shivers, sweating, inability to sleep, burning throat and burning in the left eye. Not only that, after they stopped taking it, the symptoms continued. They can’t make it go away.

I find this very disturbing. What the heck is going on here? Why is it that some people have no negative reactions and other people have violent reactions?

Well, I still believe it basically boils down to body chemistry and vulnerability. I think it depends on how severe you’re Candida overgrowth is and how susceptible you are to not only the bacteria that is in the product, but also the yeast and sugars which are added to feed the bacteria. It appears that some bodies, perhaps one’s that have a weaker immune system or a less functional liver are prone to develop an infection when exposed to this bacteria, while other people with a stronger constitution have no problem.

Proponents of the product feel the negative symptoms must be die off, but I disagree. I’ve been dealing with Candida for about 20 years and I’ve taken about every product out there and endured some horrific die off, but I have never experienced what I felt with this product.. What I had was clearly a bacterial infection.

Additionally, I received an email from another holistic health professional who had the same experience as mine and she told me that Threelac’s own information states that the product should not be used it you have leaky gut syndrome. I don’t have a package of Threelac to read and verify if that’s true, but if it is that’s absurd. Almost anyone with severe Candida overgrowth has leaky gut syndrome. She concluded that the leaky gut allows the bacteria in Threelac to enter the bloodstream and becomes pathogenic at that point. Which sounds like another logical explanation.

I don’t recommend Threelac to anyone, because I think it’s better to be safe than sorry. Maybe you’ll be one of those who will be okay with it and maybe you won’t. I would exercise extreme caution before giving it a try, but that’s my particular preference. However, you’ll find many holistic and alternative health practitioners who do recommend it freely.

I recommend caution not only in regard to Threelac, but any new product you haven’t tried. Always do a little research and see what other people saying. The alternative health field is not immune to scams or ineffective treatment. Unfortunately, the fact that so many people are now taking an interest in alternative and holistic medicine, makes it even more vulnerable. I’m not saying that is the case with this particular product, I’m just saying that it’s always best to be an aware and informed consumer regardless of what product your considering.

How about you, has it made you sick? Do you have a Threelac experience you’d like to share?

{ 168 comments… add one }

• Kevin November 30, 2010, 12:51 pm

I tried the Threelac product hoping to feel the health benefits, but the side effects were so severe I had to discontinue use. The first few days were okay, then after about a week I started to have some dizziness along with head throbbing, and a disoriented feeling and unable to think clearly. Not knowing if this was from taking the product, I continued to take threelac, at one pack a day dosage. Other symptoms started, a constant ringing in the ears, lack of concentration, fatigue and weakness and not being able to function normally. After I stopped taking the product, it took several weeks to fade off.

• Adrian December 11, 2010, 1:07 am

Check out this link:

I was thinking of buying ThreeLac and noticed there are so many different websites promoting it, that I figured, it must be good stuff. But I wondered, why are so many different sites selling it and all for the same price? Why can’t I just get it directly from the manufacturer? As the above link explains, it is all clever marketing. Anyone can set up a website promoting ThreeLac and get paid a commission from GHT (the parent company) for the sales they bring in. It creates a positive web presence for the product, because everyone seems to be pushing it and raving about it. But it turns out it is all just clever marketing and most likely a lot of B.S. Who knows if the stuff does anything, but one thing seems for sure, it is making some people seriously ill. After reading all this, there is no way I would put this stuff in my body!

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins December 13, 2010, 11:25 am

Hi Sarah,

The fact that he is itching his genitals indicates that is probably a genital yeast infection. Sounds like his yeast got worse. You can read the Candida section of my site and the blog at these links. Additionally, you need a good doctor who practices Functional Medicine.

Best
    Cynthia

• San December 27, 2010, 2:49 am

Hi Cynthia,

I just finished reading all the posts here. I’ve recently self diagnosed myself as a candida sufferer so I started reading everything relating to the Candida overgrowth.
    I’ve also bought your book Candida-Secret and finished reading it!

Now after digesting all this information from many sites and some books, I believe I have a little understanding of the Candida overgrowth.

It all started exactly 1 year ago november 2009 to be precise. The first symptoms I had was flu like symptoms, rhinitis, post nasal dripping, then soon after I had my first asthma attack. I never had any kind of asthma or chest tightness prior. Then when I was battling with my asthma I started experiencing all kinds of strange symptoms I never had before. I never had any trouble with any kind of food before I could eat almost anything and didn’t have any stomach or gastrointestinal problem. Soon after the asthma attack I started having a very full gassy stomach and the problem was I couldn’t pass the gas out. Strange thing was when I went with empty stomach for a few hours i had very tight feeling around my diaphragm and chest, and couldn’t breath abdominally but as soon as I ate something my stomach tightness would ease. Other symptoms were heart palpitation, hard time sleeping and getting up early, also a lot of allergy and mucous build up.
    The good thing was I was able to find the cause for my sudden asthma attack, and the cause was from naphthalene inhalation poisoning from moth balls (this is again my own diagnose but i’m pretty sure)

So I threw away all the moth balls and cleaned all my clothes and condition improved vastly.
    But the stomach problem remained and it’s so debilitating. I feel like I have to push my abdomen out all the time to ease my breathing. And when I do that I hear a lot of gas growling in my intestine (which won’t come out!). Few months ago I went to the doc to check this and the doctor said I have H.Pylori and put me on a 3 week antibiotics, ppi course. That didn’t help my bloating. So I thought I might have different condition and that maybe something relating to candida overgrowth!

Additionally for the past 2,3 months I started experiencing twitching all over my body and possible restless leg syndrome. Had sleeping difficulty. General fatigue.
    One other big change was my eyesight became considerably bad I didn’t wear glasses before but now I have to. The change was from -0.1
    to -1.25.

But the problem is I want to be 100% sure that I have this condition. I went to many doctors and told them I might have system candidiasis, but almost all of them shrugged the idea away! So I had to diagnose my self.

However there are some mismatching condition in my symptoms with the candida overgrowth symptoms.
    My symptoms that match the candida include:
    Severe intestinal gas, but for some reason I have difficulty passing flatulence.
    Allergy, asthma symptoms although improved vastly from the cleaning but occasional symptoms.
    General fatigue.
    Muscle twitching, abdominal tightness, heart palpitations.
    Eyesight problems.

The symptoms that mismatch is:
    I don’t crave for sugar or carbohydrate (although one of the reason I believe i have candida is that my diet changed considerably starting 2.5 years ago after I arrived in Japan, I was eating mainly carbohydrate after coming)
    My bowel movement is normal most of the time.
    Don’t have foggy mind or loss of memory or anything to do with mentally except some possible depression or anxiety from the physical pain and social stress.

About 4 days ago I started following very strict candida diet plan. And was planning to get threelac or similar probiotic supplements.
    But after I started my diet plan I started experiencing very strange itching around my hand and leg and when I scratch them they turn into very bright red spots but disappears after few minutes. This usually happens during the evening.

So could my problem be related to candida. I really want to get rid of this cramping and bloating around my abdominal area it is so debilitating since I can’t breath normally always have to force to breath. And from the hoard of other symptoms.

Peace and Love
    San

• Christine Catura December 29, 2010, 7:33 pm

Can the probiotic ingredient Enterococcus faecium be harmful like the Enterococcus Faecalis? The probiotic Symbion has this ingredient. Any experience with this antibiotic? Ihad severe reaction to the ThreeLac and fortunately refunded due to ordering on Amazon!

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins January 8, 2011, 2:59 pm

Yes, they are both harmful.

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins January 8, 2011, 3:26 pm

Hi San,

Yes, the problem with Candida is that the symptoms do overlap with many other conditions. The other problem is that Candida is notoriously difficult to diagnose. As I mentioned in my book, Candida Secrets, there are many tests out there that a variety of practitioners use to diagnose Candida, but they are not reliable. Candida does not always show up in blood, urine and stool, even when it is present. An Organic Acids test, which looks for the byproduct of Candida, is considered by many to be the most reliable. However, I cannot testify to that personally. In my opinion, the most reliable test is the written questionnaire in Dr. Crook’s book, The Yeast Connection. If you score high on that, then chances are good you have Candida.

I am not an advocate of Threelac. Please read these pages:

The symptoms you are experiencing are common for Candida, but on the other hand they are also indicative of other factors. It could be food sensitivities, gluten intolerance, parasites, nutritional deficiencies, neurotransmitter imbalances or some other bacteria and adrenal fatigue. I would consider getting an ALCAT test to identify food sensitivities. You can learn more about it on this page: http://www.holistichelp.net/alcat-test.html

Also a GI Effects Stool test to identify parasites and bacteria and a saliva stress test to test adrenals. An Organic Acids and Amino Acid test can identify problems with neurotransmitters and nutritional deficiencies. If you’re interested in these, contact me for a consult.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Candida usually does not occur in isolation. It is often accompanied adrenal fatigue, nutritional deficiencies, neurotransmitter imbalances, parasites, bacteria and food sensitivities. They go hand in hand. So you may have all of them.

Best
    Cynthia

• Pete January 12, 2011, 5:47 pm

Really need help. Was on 3 lac for about 3 months up to 4-5 packeets per day and got severe reactions. I could not function. Complete brain fog, nervousness, fatigue beyond fatigue and immense nausea. I stopped cold and still almost a month later cannot function. I went to the hospital and they found nothing wrong. I sweat profusely, have chills and now not only am I fatigued but im zo jittery-wired that I cannot sleep. I mean at all. Zero. I feel ike i may not ever sleep and that we know what that means. This is for real. Has anyone gone thru this kind of “detox” and will I come out the other side?

• Pete January 12, 2011, 5:49 pm

Really need help. Was on 3 lac for about 3 months up to 4-5 packeets per day and got severe reactions. I could not function. Complete brain fog, nervousness, fatigue beyond fatigue and immense nausea. I stopped cold and still almost a month later cannot function. I went to the hospital and they found nothing wrong. I sweat profusely, have chills and now not only am I fatigued but im zo jittery-wired that I cannot sleep. I mean at all. Zero. I feel ike i may not ever sleep and that we know what that means. This is for real. Has anyone gone thru this kind of “detox” and will I come outofthis?

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins January 15, 2011, 11:14 pm

Hi Pete,
    Nice talking with you today. Hope you found our time together helpful. Keep us updated and let us know if you improve and how long it takes.

Cynthia

• Gilly January 17, 2011, 10:01 am

Pete

Am sad to say that using Threelac is probably the reason I am still so ill now, 2 years later! Was using it only for one month to try and address a few digestive upsets and muscle pains. Thinking it might be candida etc. Had never had any other major problems. Took Threelac for one month and by the end of that spell was incredibly ill. The nausea was immense 24/7, chronic upsets stomach, unable to hold conversations or even stand after eating any food. It never wore off! Terrible nigth sweatsa nd day time shivvering. Gradually lost 2 stone over a year and then malnourished eventually the GP got me sent to London for assessment as they had no idea what was wrong. I didn’t tell them about Threelac as I was embarrased that I may have brought it on myself!

Anyway, one year ago they diagnosed me with a severe bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine which had damaged the gut lining and I now have permanent food intolerances, dairy, yeasts, all histamine foods, all artificial adds etc etc. They have controlled the overgrowth with huge pro-bos (450 million per sachet – only on presecription) but I’m left with all the food intolerances that I never had before.

So, although I have no proof that it was Threelac I can only think that it was because there was no other change in my diet or health immediately before taking it. As far as I’m concerned it is poison!

As for any advice, remove all sugar of any description including all fruits, bland your diet as far as possible and if you can afford it purchase the best quality pro- bos you can afford, but only those that are cleared as safe of course.

Be prepared though – it may take smany months to feel a little more human. The stuff should come with a severe health warning – just in case you’re one of the ones that have this type of a reaction.

• Rebecca Bochenek February 27, 2011, 7:41 pm

Thank you for posting these comments on your website. I have been using Fivelac since 2/6/11 and have had indigestion each day for the last three weeks. I have been on Nystatin for 3 months along with Monolaurin and Oregano oil the past two weeks for systemic candida diagnosed by a blood test over two years ago along with many food intolerances. I thought the reaction was die off from the new probiotic product, but my naturopathic didn’t think the symptoms would be from that and advised aloe vera juice. Now that I read your article and looked at the ingredients on the box, I realize that there is refined dry yeast and casein. These are two foods I have an intolerance which gives me a sinus histamine reaction. I just took my final dose of Fivelac this afternoon right before I read this article so I will not be using the product anymore and will be returning it for a full refund because Global Trax has a 60 day guarantee. I hope this is what has been causing the indigestion in the last weeks and that will clear up after this is out of my system. I will have to go back to my previous probiotic that has no dairy.

• Laura May 18, 2011, 5:55 pm

I’ve been using the yeast-free alternative to ThreeLac for the last 4 1/2 weeks, Symbion, and while I haven’t gotten overwhelmingly sick from it, for the last two weeks, the majority of my main Candida symptoms have increased in ways that I wouldn’t associate with die off.

I came to do research about Candida after pulling some last straws over 2 plus years of chronic sinus infections that were unresponsive to natural remedies or OTC decongestants or antihistamines. A week into Candida cleansing completely by diet and natural antifungals, and taking enzymes and probiotics, I was able to breathe through my nose for the first time in months. I wasn’t terribly strict with my diet- I didn’t consume sugar but occasionally consumed dairy and alcohol, and I stayed away from yeast and refined carbohydrates and occasionally had potatoes and things of the sorts, and the results remained. I would experience some minor sinus congestion hours after alcohol or dairy consumption, but nothing that couldn’t be cleared with a nose-blowing, and they were symptoms that were immediately taken care of by continuing on with diet and natural antifungals.

When I started on the Symbion, I was hoping for a jolt in the healing process, and had read so much about both products’ good results. The order came with personal instructions from Alysson Cobb and an encouragement to keep in touch via email if I had any questions along the way. Part of the instructions include things like “if you’re not on a restricted diet, don’t go on one. If you’re on one, stay on it and start including off-limits things as symptoms improve” and “don’t take natural antifungals like oregano oil or raw garlic or coconut oil, they kill off the bacteria of ThreeLac and Symbion and don’t do anything for the yeast.” There went SO much of my Candida cleansing menu.

Within the first week, my sleeping quality began decreasing. I regularly get 8+ hours a night, and when I started the Candida cleanse, I would wake up energized and rested, and I stopped craving morning coffee. But since taking Symbion, I haven’t had a morning I haven’t woken up foggy headed. Also, ‘sleep in the eyes’ got so bad after the first week that I was worried I was developing pink eye.

Now, in the past I have bad allergies that get rather intense this time of year, but they were almost immediately gone when I started the natural Candida cleanse after suffering all winter and flare ups were taken care of by homeopathic nasal sprays and the occasional antihistamine. As soon as I started on the Symbion, they started sneaking back in and got worse little by little. Sure, pollen count is extremely high this year where I am, but the occasional antihistamine should do the trick in between neti pot usage and things of the sorts. Nothing has worked.

A week and a half ago I had an allergy attack so bad that I thought my throat was going to start closing up. Since then, I’ve been constantly congested at various levels of intensity with no relief, fighting regular allergy attacks, and the puffy-eyes and brain fog that come with sinus inflammation.

In the past few days I’ve been including back all of the natural yeast killers ThreeLac/Symbion instructions tell you to avoid, and my diet is also returning to what it was in the initial cleansing stage. I should have known better, that there is no magical product. Some things are better than others in helping us along in regaining and maintaining our health.

When I emailed Alysson and asked about the bacteria strains In further reasearch, I’ve found that Symbion is a product developed directly by Alysson and Mark Cobb themselves, and I’ve grown to be terribly critical of it. It’s unfortunate because they sell hope so well.

• Lisa June 16, 2011, 3:54 pm

I am so glad I found this blog. I just received my “double” order of ThreeLac today, but I’m going to return it to Amazon.com. I have been battling chronic vaginitis, bacterial colitis and fibromylagia for about two years now. Not to mention the chronic fatigue I suffer…I could literally sleep for days and still be exhausted. All these conditions started after a very hefty dose of Cipro for 14 days to treat a UTI. My life has never been the same since. I struggle daily to function at a level that allows me to work, take care of my home and my son. I was put on Cymbalta but that has done no good. How do I find a doctor that will try to get to the bottom of what is causing all my problems?

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins June 18, 2011, 10:05 am

Hi Lisa,

The best type of doctor is one that practices functional medicine or environmental medicine. You can search for one at the Academy of Environmental Medicine or The Functional Medicine Institute.

However, keep in mind that you are one the who needs to get to the bottom of the problem by educating yourself. A doctor should be used as an aid, an assistant, a guide. Nobody knows better than your body.

I offer consultations by phone and can teach you everything you need to know to identify your root issues. You can learn more about my services on the following page: http://www.holistichelp.net/counseling.html

Best
    Cynthia

• Bernie August 8, 2011, 6:56 am

Cynthia

Finally the destruction of Threelac is coming to light.
    Like many others i too suffered from candida, threelac was to be the miracle cure. i started taking it about eight years ago, i gave it to my husband and son also. a couple of weeks after first taking it i noticed that at night my muscles were twitching in my arms and legs, my husbands symptoms were more severe. over the years the muscles in our digestive tracts have continued to tighten, so much so that now my husband has difficulty breathing at night. we have been to several consultants, and not one can find a problem. all muscle test come back clear. i had a test on my throat because i had difficulty swallowing my food nothing showed up. i am at my wits end i dont know where to go for help before its too late. i would welcome any suggestions. A word of warning to any thinking of trying threelac avoid at all costs its poison.

• Ky August 16, 2011, 8:59 pm

Hi all… I have been taking one threelac sacthet a day for a bit over a month, but ive noticed in the last week my eyes have very dark circles around them, I am beyond tired all day and have no energy, i keep getting alternating swollen glands (underarms/neck and groin), sweating, aching muscles in my arms, a sore lower back and an annoying sore throat…….. I didnt draw any parallels with the threelac, and have been worried that something serious was happening to me, but after reading some comments on here I have been thinking it could well be the threelac, and as of today i have stopped taking it. I guess im wondering if y’all think those ailments could be from the threelac???
    Thanks guys
    Hope you’re all feeling well !

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins August 17, 2011, 10:31 am

Hi Ky,

Well there are three possibilities.

1. It could be a negative side-effect of Threelac.

2. The Threelac is actually making the yeast proliferate.

3. It’s die off.

Unfortunately, there is no way to know for sure. However, the lower back pain could be a bladder or kidney infection, so I would be careful. Whether, it’s die off or proliferation, either way, it sounds like it is not good for your body. If die off is too severe, then one needs to back off, because it will overload the body.

Best
    Cynthia

• Miki September 6, 2011, 9:28 pm

Hi Cynthia,

Thank you for all this great information and for your attention to everybody’s questions. I’ve been struggling with this Candida battle for a long time and it’s very disheartening and difficult to know what is truly going on inside my body, and how I can fight it. It’s at least comforting to know I’m not alone in this.

I will try to be concise–13 years ago my dermatologist put me on antibiotics for my acne, for EIGHT YEARS STRAIGHT, and i also took birth control for a couple years during that time. During that time I developed many digestive issues (diarrhea, rapid weight gain, bloating, gas, acid reflux, etc), many allergies, and my immune system was compromised (i had mononucleosis a record 3 times!).

I have done many different things over the years to get better and nothing has worked. Eight months ago I went on the Body Ecology Diet (Candida diet plus food combination, blood type, acid/alkaline principles), which I am still currently following very strictly. I went through a severe die-off and then felt myself slowly getting better after 3 months. Then I slowly started getting worse again, and I have been up and down with my symptoms this whole time. I now generally have regular solid bowels (huge improvement, i know), but in a lot of ways I am actually worse than before I began the diet!

I am now extremely sensitive, fragile and weak. For one, it is difficult to eat enough calories a day on this strict diet, and i lost a lot of weight and am definitely malnourished. I have low energy and am sensitive to sounds and smells, my tongue is white and crackly, the symptoms are numerous…I now can’t eat anything with fat like seeds, nuts or oils, because my body no longer can digest fats. I take digestive enzymes, probiotics (now probiotics are upsetting me and i had to take a break), antifungal herbs (which made me worse!), colonics and enemas, and have weekly acupuncture. I’ve tried everything and I don’t know what to do! If i try to get off this diet my candida symptoms flare up like crazy–yeast infection, diarrhea, etc–but staying on it isn’t helping either and I feel like I need something to help beyond the diet but I am so sensitive to everything and nothing seems to work!

I’ve seen a bunch of different alternative doctors and have spent a lot of money for them to tell me what I already know from my research and experience, and they have nothing more to offer than what I’ve already tried. Whenever I explain my symptoms and how I’ve reacted to what they recommend they always tell me they are perplexed and that I am a “mystery.” It’s really disheartening when a professional tells you that.

Any advice, direction or guidance would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

• Marc September 7, 2011, 1:44 am

Hi, I started Three Lac to help my life long constipation and I got very sick and nauseas. I hear the company that sells it buys the packets from a company for ten cents a packet. Tell me what can be good for ten cents, a fresh fig is more than ten cents. On one side you have candida and the other side people who make money off the sick. In the middle you have hard work like diet and exercise and lifestyle-you make the choice.

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins September 25, 2011, 11:31 am

Hi Miki,

It sounds to me like the Body Ecology diet is not compatible with you and has actually made your Candida overgrowth worse. I recommend the Paleolithic diet.

The increased sensitivity to smell and sound and white tongue are classing signs of Candida worsening.

If you can’t digest fats, then there is probably a problem with the liver and gallbladder.

Antifungals will make you worse at first, because they produce die off as the kill the yeast. However if it is too severe then a milder antifungal should be found.

People with Candida typically have other organisms that may be producing symptoms as well. A GI Effects Stool Test can help identify what they are:

Additionally there are typically many other underlying issues that occur with Candida like nutritional deficiencies, impaired detoxification and adrenal fatigue. You should consider all the tests on the following page:

Candida is a very complex condition and there’s a lot more to it than diet and antifungals.

You can find an abundance of information on Candida throughout my site and blog on the following pages

As well as my ebook, Candida Secrets

If you need a more personal touch, I offer consultations by phone. My fees and options can be found on the following page

Best
    Cynthia

• Christopher September 27, 2011, 8:25 am

Thank god I read this blog! I have taken the threelac for three days, at the first day it gave med diarrhea and headaches plus dizziness, the second day i felt better, but then couldn’t pee properly so i thought i was getting a UTI. Today i woke up with what felt like an ear infection on one ear and still feels like UTI symptoms. I’m glad I read this blog, since i’m not going to take it anymore now. Do you think, however, that three dosages of threelac could do any permanent damage? If yes, what can i do to flush it out of my system faster, drink more water?

Sincerely,
    Christoffer

• Brian October 10, 2011, 9:05 pm

Christopher, wow you took the question right out of my mouth! I too got diarrhea, dizziness and feel really weird and spaced out… Been 2 days since I quit Threelac… only took about 4 packets and hoping to heaven it didn’t do something permanent like some people claim. I’m drinking lots of water no question and I hear eating fiber can help? Any feedback welcome.

I am going to put a bad review on Amazon and hope more of you sufferers do the same! W0uld have never considered purchasing it without all the glowing reviews… wonder if they are even real people or a big scam? Really disheartening, must continue with the diet and no video games which kill my adrenals until I get back on Isocort which has helped me in the past.

• Janet October 12, 2011, 9:38 am

Just wanted to thank you for this blog. Everytime I use a search engine to try to find solutions for candida, there is an overwhelming number of hits for ThreeLac – so much so that it seems like an infomercial and too good to be true. I appreciate the information you allow others to share on your site which confirmed my gut feeling about ThreeLac (no pun intended!).

• Tanya October 20, 2011, 7:27 pm

Oh my!

I purchased a pack of Threelac on eBay last week and have been anxiously awaiting its arrival when I stumbled onto your site just now! Now I am admittedly scared to try it! My naturopath told me I have Leaky Gut Syndrome and now I’m reading that persons with LGS shouldn’t try Threelac, but I’ve also read that Candida and LGS go hand-in-hand…. I have all the classic symptoms of Candida ~ floaters in my eyes, bad bloating even on the Candida diet (all I’m eating are cooked veggies, salads, fish, chicken and healthy fats like olive oil and butter!), joint pain, muscle weakness, burning muscles with very little exercise, poor endurance, fatigue, brain fog, constipation (I have to take senna tablets every couple of days to keep things moving!), strange numb sensations on my skin, tingling in my feet, cloudy vision, heart palpitations (yes I’ve had heart tests done, all fine), ah the list could go on and on! So I got Threelac but it hasn’t arrived yet but now I’m thinking that I still do want to try it but instead of taking one entire packet like I’ve been envisioning myself doing the second it arrives I think I’ll just try a half-teaspoon amount and flush it with lots of water and see what happens? Does that sound like a nice slow-enough way to start? I’m a bit scared from reading all your stories! I’m hoping I’m one of the ones who this product works for! Some of your stories here are very frightening, and I can’t imagine what it must have been like to experience it. As if battling this monster called Candida isn’t horrid enough!
    I will try to post again when I’ve tried Threelac and share what happened!

• jeeper3995 October 28, 2011, 12:51 am

I took threelac for 5 years and it worked for me most of the time until last December. I started getting sick and it didn’t seem to work as it did. So this year I have been trying other anti-fungals. Non worked like threelac but everytime I try it again I feel horrible. I feel hot all over and feel like I have a bad infection. It seems like poison now. I am now on SF 722, coconut oil and garlic. I feel better.

• Taura November 15, 2011, 9:43 pm

Hi, I was wondering what your thoughts are on Symbion??? Supposedly it’s just like Threelac minus the yeast. Thank you!

Taura

• Beckie November 19, 2011, 5:10 am

The FOS & dry yeast in three lac gave me a vaginal yeast infection! In past I had avoided those ingredients, but due to the amazing overwhelmingly good reviews I tried it & forgot about the FOS & dry yeast.BUMMER!
    I did not realize it until, 3 rd day of using three lac.I stopped it as soon as I realized it.
    I had nothing different in my diet or life style, so VERY SAD NOT healthy to take this product.
    I also h ad blood test done & already have bacteria in blood, so another bummer for those who have low immune system & systemic candida.

• Ann December 2, 2011, 12:21 pm

I tried Threelac a couple of months ago. After being on it for a few days, I developed a SEVERE yeast infection. The discharge associated with it was in large clumps. When I say large clumps I mean the size of a quarter. I also began having diarhea that burned. The skin around both areas became red & completely raw to the point of a little bleeding. I stopped the Threelac and I tried natural yeast remedies, diflucan (which scares me on its own) and changing my diet. I’ve been a vegetarian for 4 years & I eat very healthy anyway but I have become even more strict while I try to battle this problem. It’s been over two months & my yeast infection has gotten better but hasn’t went away. The diarhea is a little better but it still burns and I’m still completely raw & red. It’s so miserable. Not to mention the havoc it has had on my sex life. I read through every remark on this page and I haven’t read anything that combined these symptoms. I’m wondering if it’s the bad bacteria in the Threelac that’s causing it or something else. I don’t know what to do. If I go back to the Dr. (which I really don’t have faith in) then they will probably want to treat me with the normal yeast infection cremes & diflucan again or they’ll chalk it up to BV & try to put me on antibiotics. Although maybe antibiotics would kill the E. faecalis (I haven’t researched what to do about it yet). I also have an acupuncture appointment in the next few days & will have a herbal consultation that I will discuss all this in. Basically, I’m scared. I don’t know what is wrong with me and I don’t see an end in site. I completely believe it was the Threelac that caused it. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms? Anyone have suggestions I could try? I appreciate any information. Thank you.

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins December 12, 2011, 10:05 pm

Hi Ann,

Well there is no way to no for sure whether it was the threelac, but it sure looks like a clear cause and effect to me. I would go with your gut. A product called Sachromyces Boulardii may clear up the bacteria and it is helpful for yeast as well. Lots of probiotics would also be called for. I would insert the probiotics vaginally as well as taking orally. Enemas or colonics would also be helpful.

Being a vegetarian is one of the worse things you can do for yourself. You should read the following posts

Best
    Cynthia

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins December 12, 2011, 10:24 pm

Hi Taura,

I’ve already posted my opinion on symbion earlier. Look through the comments above to find it.

Best
    Cynthia

• Lisa December 20, 2011, 1:41 pm

I took Threelac a little over 5 years ago. I had not made the connections until just recently, that my current health condition may be due to this product. My symptoms did not show up until after I quit Threelac. I started getting severe yeast infections. The first round, I suffered through alone because of embarrassment. The symptoms changed from a vaginal yeast infection to something that acts like a 3rd degree sunburn (from the inside) that occurs on my right arm primarily. My arm starts itching and then red spots appear and the develope into blisters and starts peeling. It gets to the point that I cannot even bend my wrist and/or elbow. This can happen in a matter of hours. This seems to by cyclical as well – it flares up in July and November. I have been to a dermatologist that took cultures of the blisters and it was diagnosised as beta hemolytic streptococcus. At first he was giving me penacillin, after the 2nd or 3rd bout with this, penacillin no longer worked, I now take bactrim the minute I feel an itch. When I just realized that Threelac might be the cause of this, I started looking for answers and found this sight. It looks like that there are a myriad of symptoms and noticed some that were similar to mine but yet I had some other stuff going on. I know it may sound crazy how my symptoms manifest themselves and wanted to know if there might be others.

• Irene January 12, 2012, 12:13 am

Hi – I just stopped taking ThreeLac after about two weeks and started an anti-biotic today for a horrible rash/burn/skin infection started on my buttocks and low back and is working it’s way up my back. I felt like crying when I realized I might have to take an anit-biotic for the rash as I thought I was on the road to candida recovery after investing money and time in Three Lac and reading the rave reviews. I have never had skin problems like this before. I’ve never had a rash or skin infection period.I also got a horrible heat rash after exercising which has never happened to me before. I feel weak and woozy which I thought, or hoped, was “die-off” , but after getting the skin infection/rash and reading these posts I believe it is the Three Lac and I am appalled that this treatment is so highly recommended by others – perhaps for monetary gain. My skin has been itchy all over and my scalp is extremely itchy. Again, I thought it was die-off at first and it made me hopeful. I just happened to find this site as I searched for other probiotics like “Culturelle” to see if those would work better. I tried children’s Culturelle a few months ago becasue it was recommended by my pediatrician for my son who is on antibiotics too much because of asthma/ear infections. I am so happy I tried ThreeLac first on myself, becasue my plan was to try and it and if it worked great, then to give it to my kids to help them too. Now I know NOT to do that to my children. I feel blessed that I only took it for two weeks and was forced off by the rash and reading this website and hope the skin issues will get better and not be a long-term struggle to add to my Candida problems. I felt great taking Culturelle for a few weeks, but it did not cure my vaginal and rectal itching that I know is caused by Candida. (I don’t have health insurance so I have gone to Planned Parenthood twice in the last few months and both times I tested positive for yeast even after taking Diflucan twice and taking over the counter creams and suppositories).

I also wanted to know your opinion of Symbion? I could not find the previous post – probably because my concentration is going and I’m bleary eyed after reading so may posts and feeling the wooziness of Three-Lac still in my body. If you could point me to the title of the post that would be helpful. Thank You for your guidance and making this forum possible!
    Irene

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins January 12, 2012, 11:29 am

Hi Irene,

I’ve commented on Symbion on this page in the comments section, which you are currently reading. Please read through all the comments.

Best
    Cynthia

• Casey February 21, 2012, 1:56 am

All posts I read on symbion were the same as ThreeLac as they contain a strain of the enterococcus faecium which is supposedly different than the one in ThreeLac but just as negative. Basically to avoid both of them. I started off taking the Symbion myself for about three weeks or so and didn’t notice much of anything negative or positive so I decided to switch to ThreeLac which I have been taking just over three weeks and in the past week I just about thought I was going CRAZY. Not only do I go from being too hot to too cold but it seems like I have rather severe brain fog as well as extreme paranoia. I used to sleep with earplugs for over 6 months and recently started to wake up feeling claustrophobic and freaking out. From what I can say and from what I have read from others is to AVOID THREELAC & SYMBION at all cost. I would not chalk up my symptoms to die off but then again who knows. With everything I have tried I don’t know what to think anymore. What I do know is that I’m going to stop taking the threelac and hopefully start feeling better, mentally at least. One thing that definitely provided me with some relief through all of this has been Organic clear fiber which I take twice a day http://www.renewlife.com/organic-clear-fiber.html so far that has been the only thing to provide me with any kind of long term positive results. They carry a load of other products as well which I might have to try. I just don’t know what to do anymore.

• Stella Fortin March 13, 2012, 9:30 pm

I have read a lot about Threelac, however I do have concerns and worry about how I may feel.

• Leah March 27, 2012, 9:28 pm

curious if you have any recommendations for clearing up candida in infants? My baby has severe eczema, reactions to food (skin reactions), and now has a yeast diaper rash. I actually look ThreeLac years ago and it cleared my chronic yeast infections, but I do hesitate to give it to my baby due to the negative/scary reviews on it.

Do you have any experience with infants and candida?

• Ys April 22, 2012, 11:36 am

I just canceled my order on threelac. How disspointing! we have been trying to beat toddler thrush with GSE and probiotics but it is not budging. baby also has severe constipation. I have nipple burning and just took Diflucan single dose for a yeast infection. otherwise I stay away from white breads rice fruits and sweets. Do all the natural antifungal – raw garlic, oral and topical GSE, canlendula etc. but the baby’s (11 months) tongue is still white after weeks. I am weaning her incase it is coming from me so we can stop giving it back and forth. Threelac sounded promising and had some great reviews on baby center.

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins April 26, 2012, 4:05 pm

Hi Leah,

I rarely work with infants. However, the process of recovery is the same for infants as it is for adults, just dosages would be adjusted. I encourage you to explore the candida archives here at the blog, as well as the candida section of my site. You may want to take a look at my book, Candida Secrets and the other books I recommend. Additionally, you need a good doctor when dealing with an infant, and that doctor should practice functional medicine so they will know how to guide you appropriately. If this problem is not addressed in infancy, then the child goes on to develop ADHD, behavioral issues, depression, anxiety addiction etc., in later years.

Best
    Cynthia

• Jennifer May 19, 2012, 1:00 pm

Hi, I’m still new to the candida issue but it seems to fit everything that has been affecting my life. I”ve always taken antibiotics when proscribed and didn’t give it a second thought until recently. I was also diagnosed with MS several years back so I have gone through several long term course of steroids so it seems pretty likely that my problems are candida. My question is how long does it take to tell if your reaction will be bad and how long before you can tell if the Threelac is working? The average reaction tme will factor into my decision Oh and a liitle off topic but I believe that my MS diagnosis was caused by aspartame poisoning as I have had no Ms complications at all since cutting aspartame completly out of my diet.

• Albert May 31, 2012, 10:42 am

I think your right when you say that all bodies react different to threelac. My son is mildly autistic but still is in the spectrum. I put him on threelac and from the 2nd day began to see positive changes. He was talking more, making better mental connections and just being better overall. Then about 2 weeks later he got a mild fever, and it lasted for a few hours then went away. We concluded that it was part of die off. 2 days later he got a fever again, only this time it shot up to 103. I had a gut feeling that it was the threelac. He had no other symptoms but a fever. So he is off it now and is ok again. But he regressed a little, so the threelac was helping him. I think I might of went to heavy on the dosage. I gave him one pack first day, then very next day went with 2 packs. Perhaps, he might take to it well if he is giving smaller doses? I dont know. Funny thing is I’ve been taking it and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done for myself and candida issues. I’ve had no negative effects from it. So yeah, it comes down to how each persons body constitution will allow to play a part with threelac.

• Jeremy July 15, 2012, 9:42 pm

Hi, just wanted to share this.

I have tried Threelac, Symbion, and Oxygen Elements Max.

Personally, Threelac has been very positive for me. I’ve only tried it for a few months so far though. Recently I’ve ran out and have just been using Symbion. To me, Symbion doesn’t seem to be doing much and maybe even having some negative effects. Oxygen Elements Max…can’t say. I started it around the same time as Threelac(didn’t try Symbion till a bit after). Maybe it’s helping, maybe not.

Now I was having pain, have been for a number of years off and on, but sometimes for good stretches. There was pain in my hips, gut, lower and sometimes upper back, and pain in my testicles. Went to my doctor about it (and to urologists a few times for the pain in my testicles). They could never find anything wrong and my doctor put me on some anti-inflammatory medicine for the pain in my hips.

When I got the Threelac I was in the middle of one of the stretches of time were I would have lots of pain in my testicles. I took it around 8 at night and went to bed pretty early. The next day when I woke up the pain was gone and has been gone cept for an occasional twinge near the beginning. It really did seem like a miracle, I read that some people got fast results from Threelac, but I’m still shocked by that. Have not taken any of the prescribed pain meds since then as the pain in my hips, gut , and back left completely too.

I’ve had bad acid reflux for years. Threelac didn’t make it go away, but did seem to help some. Now I’ve been off Threelac for a few weeks due to money issues and it’s getting worse again. Symbion just doesn’t seem to be the same and I seem to be more tired lately.

I will order Threelac again when I can, even though your website has gotten me a bit worried about it’s possible long term effects. Although most people who have bad effects seem to have them almost immediately. The way my pain went away so quickly is just something I can’t ignore. I will try and post again several months down the road after I get back on Threelac and off Symbion to update you all.

• Debbie Downie September 5, 2012, 11:39 pm

I made the mistake of taking Symbion – similar to ThreeLac for two months, about 6 months ago. It gave me insomnia and malabsorption issues that have not gone away. I”m so sad that I didn’t find this site before ordering it and taking it.
    Does anyone know of a antibiotic or natural supplement that can kill the enterococcus faecium that is in this product?

• Sarah mason September 6, 2012, 2:50 pm

I have left comments here before about my son who is autistic and had severe OCD and sensory problems after taking Threelac. This was about 2 years ago. And now, everytime he comes in contact with a virus or especially strep bacteria all of these horrible symptoms come back. It never completely goes away, just goes in a horrible up and down cycle. After doing some reading about hypothyroidism and autism i came across an article about PANDAS. Everything about this disorder fits my son to a tee. I have spoke to his pediatrician about it, she said that she has heard of it, but that since there are no lab tests that can be done to diagnose it there is really not much she can do. I have since made an appointment with a Dr. Kovasevic in Hinsdale, IL. who has successfully treated over 400 children with PANDAS with IVIG therapy. IV immunoglobulin. I am very hopeful for my upcoming appointment and with keep this thread updated with his progress. Keep up raising the awareness!!!!

• Brandy November 12, 2012, 1:15 pm

I just wanted to say that I’m appreciative of this conversation you have going here — that although you’ve had an awful experience with Threelac, you are objective about it and putting the information out there for each person to make the best decision they can. This really helps in my decision making, thank you.

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins November 15, 2012, 12:01 pm

You’re welcome, Brandy. Glad to be of help.

• Carol December 25, 2012, 8:38 pm

I had a good experience with Fivelac, so decided to try Threelac after the intense cleanse period was over for me.
    Mistake.
    Severe bloating – I immediately looked as if I were five months pregnant again – severe cramping & pain, and the diarrhea. Unbelievably different products.

• this website January 15, 2013, 8:58 am

Hi, just wanted to say, I loved this article. It was helpful.
    Keep on posting!

• Concerned February 11, 2013, 4:17 am

I have had a very bad reaction to Threelac… Insomnia, Malabsorbtion, foggy brain the list is endless. I am writing this whilst on my hospital bed waiting for a camera to be put down my throat!.

• Mani March 2, 2013, 5:10 am

To Debbie Downie,

Sorry to hear you took symbion and are having malabsorbtion and sleep problems…!!, have you tried Oil of Oregano, a powerful natural antibiotic!! But you must take Zinc supplement with it!!!… Try it,.. It worked for me!! As it is powerful against Enterococcal Faecalis, and am sure against faecium also!!