Well, I have been experimenting in the kitchen again and discovered this blissful strawberry dish with Paleo whipped cream. Strawberries are fairly low in sugar and when it is combined with the fat from the coconut it produces a recipe that will have minimal negative impact on blood sugar, adrenals, neurotransmitters and insulin, which makes it a great occasional treat for those overcoming sugar addiction, candida overgrowth, adrenal fatigue, depression, anxiety or any other neurotransmitter or autonomic nervous system condition, as well as being friendly for not promoting insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes.
- 1 bowl of strawberries
- Paleo Whipped Cream (See below)
- 1 or 2 TBSP crushed walnuts
Paleo Whipped Cream
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- Several dashes of stevia
- Put a can of coconut milk in the fridge at least overnight, but longer is better. I give it several days.
- Chill a stainless steel bowl in the freezer for a half hour.
- Take can of coconut milk out of fridge. Do not shake the can because you do not want to mix the fat back in with the liquid. You will see that the fat has risen to the top when you open it.
- Scoop the fat out and leave the liquid in the can.
- Mix with mixer for about 2 or 3 minutes. Until it looks like whipped cream.
- Stir in vanilla and stevia with a fork or mix again for another 30 seconds or so.
- If you use fresh strawberries, stick them in the freezer for a half hour to chill them prior to making whipped cream. If you use frozen strawberries, then let them thaw until soft, but still cold.
- Sprinkle strawberries with nuts.
- Place whipped cream on top of strawberries and nuts.
This recipe could be done with blueberries, or any other fruit you like. I tried blueberries as well, but I liked the strawberries best.
I was amazed at how delicious, creamy and similar the coconut cream is to dairy. You can see in the image below that it looks just like real whipped cream.
This dish is a very satiating dessert. If you are having a craving for a carb it will really hit the spot. Believe me, you will not walk away from the dinner table feeling the least bit hungry.
Of course, you can serve the Paleo Whipped Cream on any other dish that calls for whipped cream.
*My idea to whip coconut into a cream was spurred from a recipe I found at www.againstthegrain.com and from the Paleo Diet Cookbook, but I added the vanilla and stevia.
Caution: This is very filling and it slides down your throat so easy that it is easy to overeat before you realize it and then you feel too full. Stop before you start to feel full. If you lick the beaters or do a taste test, you will be halfway full before you get to the dessert. I accidentally overdid it a couple times and paid a painful price. LOL