Today a visitor is trying to track down what is causing a metallic bitter taste in her mouth, so we explore some of the possibilities. Here’s her question:
I have a metallic and bitter taste in my mouth and have not been able to tell where it comes from. Can this be a symptom of candida? ~Hazel
There are a variety of factors that can result in a metallic bitter taste in the mouth. Here are some of the most common:
Yes, sometimes people with Candida overgrowth experience a strong metallic bitter taste as a result of the toxins it emits. I have found that taking pantethine and molybdenum helped greatly with undesirable tastes in the mouth caused by candida.
Many women going through menopause, or particularly perimenopause, report a similar experience and so do pregnant women. Anything that causes fluctuation in the hormones may cause this kind of taste.
Heavy Metal Toxicity
This type of taste in the mouth is sometimes the result of heavy metal toxicity. Particularly, mercury from silver amalgam fillings in the teeth, but it could be some other source of metal like lead, copper etc. New pipes in the house, an unknown source of lead etc., eating fish or food out of the can.
What you’re cooking your food in could possibly be the culprit. If you’ve recently bought new cookware or your old cookware is deteriorating this could be leaching into your food. Food should be cooked in glass or stainless steel, not aluminum or non-stick ware. Or it could be the result of a build up in your body and it just reached a point where you now notice it.
It’s possible whatever you’re washing your cookware in could leave a taste in your mouth.
Insect repellent or any other toxic chemical applied to the skin could also result in a bitter metallic taste in the mouth. An exposure to herbicides or pesticides in the air often upset the hormones drastically, which we mentioned above could be a cause and can be absorbed through the skin as well.
Excessive Nutritional Supplements
If you’re taking too many mineral supplements, this is another possibility.
Some people report a strong metallic bitter taste after eating certain batches of pine nuts that may last for a couple weeks.
Some medications like antibiotics, antidepressants, antacids or those taken for diabetes may have this result.
An infection in the mouth like Gingivitis or Periodontal disease is sometimes the cause.
It will take a little detective work to track it down. For temporary relief, some people find that brushing the tongue regularly can help reduce a bitter metallic taste in the mouth, until the culprit is uncovered.