Well I haven’t gone on a sugar rant for a couple months now, so it’s that time once again to remind and reinforce… As you may have heard me say before in one way or another, cutting sugar from the diet is probably “the” most important step for either improving your physical, emotional and spiritual health or protecting it in the future. Right along with pesticides, sugar is the most destructive substance you can have in your diet.
However, despite this fact, it is an issue that many people I work with struggle the most. Even when we get beyond the aspect of denial, there is a great deal of resistance and rationalization to make this change. They make excuses for why they can’t, tell me it’s too hard or they minimize the seriousness of the issue. Sounds just like an alcoholic or drug addict doesn’t it? Quite frankly that’s because addiction is exactly what we are dealing with.
Sugar is an addictive drug. It is a poison and has no place in the diet of a human being. The first step that must take place in recovery from sugar addiction is to find motivation to remove it from your life. One of the best places to begin instilling motivation is by facing these facts head on. Here are 50 more:
- Sugar is the number one addiction in society today – it is as addictive as cocaine and heroin
- Sugar impacts the brain in the same manner as alcohol and hard drugs like cocaine
- It is a major cause of depression, mood swings, anxiety disorders, OCD, hyperactivity and/or attention deficit, mania, and most mental health disorders
- Sugar weakens your immune system
- It impairs cognitive functioning and memory
- Plays a major role in obesity or unwanted weight gain
- Is the leading cause of type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance
- Sugar, not fat, is the primary factor in the development of heart disease, high cholesterol and high blood pressure
- Creates nutritional deficiencies
- Impairs the nervous system
- A leading cause of insomnia and sleep disturbances
- Can cause gallstones, kidney stones and appendicitis
- Disrupts the friendly flora in the gastrointestinal tract
- A major cause of acne
- It results in a fatty liver, which leads to poor liver functioning and even end stage liver disease
- Makes the body too acidic
- Triggers outbursts of anger, aggression and even violence
- Leads to hypoglycemia
- Destroys the endocrine system and deletes the adrenal glands
- Sugar disrupts neurotransmitter functioning
- Leads to cancer – cancer cells love sugar
- Impairs the colon
- Can cause blood clots
- Disrupts the gastrointestinal tract and results in numerous GI disorders like indigestion, heart burn etc.
- Triggers asthma attacks
- A frequent cause of headaches and migraines
- Plays a significant part in eating disorders
- Sugar puts excessive stress on the bodies organs and systems
- Throws hormones out of balance
- Impairs concentration and problem solving abilities
- Makes you irritable, edgy, jittery
- Can be a root factor in Crohn’s, irritable bowel, colitis, hemorrhoids and other bowel disorders
- Contributes to intestinal permeability, also known as leaky gut
- Disrupts the metabolic system, cardiovascular system, nervous system, gastrointestinal system and immune system
- Is one of the major causes of Candida overgrowth
- Sugar is a root instigator and perpetuator of compulsive overeating and food addiction
- Disrupts spiritual health and feelings of well-being
- A frequent cause of arthritis and joint pain
- Can trigger autoimmune diseases like MS, rheumatoid, etc.
- A root cause of inflammation
- Impairs your ability to handle stress
- Disturbs peace of mind and interferes with meaning and purpose in life
- Sugar addiction is the gateway drug that leads to addiction to alcohol and harder drugs
- Contributes to osteoporosis
- Damages the kidneys and pancreas
- May result in premature aging
- Is a primary cause of gout
- Impairs digestion
- Can weaken eyesight
- Of course we all know it leads to tooth decay and periodontal disease
We could go on and on all day. There are literally hundreds of detrimental effects to the human body and mind from the consumption of sugar. As a matter of fact, you’d be hard pressed to find any condition that sugar does not either create or perpetuate. Even the American Diabetes Association says it is one of the top three causes of degenerative disease in America.
The negative effects of sugar on both mind, body and sprit are so profound, that by making this one single change of cutting sugar from your diet there can be powerful and immediate improvements in physical, emotional and spiritual health.
Additionally, this is a simple and affordable self-care strategy that does not cost you anything or require a visit to the doctor, special equipment, prescriptions or supplementation. You hold an incredible amount of power within your hands simply by making better choices in the foods you consume.