Candida Secrets
≡ Menu

Is Threelac Safe and Effective?

Threelac is one of the most popular Candida treatment products on the market today, but I am beginning to have some serious questions about its safety.

I tried the product myself a couple years ago and had a very negative experience. I developed what I believe was a bacterial infection. It gave me a high fever, sore throat, chills, shivers, shakes, sweats, and severe vaginal yeast infection.

My son tried it as well and he got much sicker than I did. His fever was very high, sore throat, chills, migraine, and sweats. He tells me he was so sick he couldn’t get out of bed for two days.

I was rather perplexed and quite disappointed in our experience, because I had heard such great things about it and I was really hopeful that it was going to be effective. Before buying the product I had done a little research, and at the time I couldn’t find any bad reviews about it.

At first I thought our experience was unique, so I just chalked it up to our body chemistry for the time being. However, as time went on I discovered more facts that raised quite a few questions.

Over at curezone.com Candida forum I found quite a few people who shared bad experiences and opinions about the product and some even feel it is a scam.

The most disturbing fact I stumbled upon is that Threelac contains a bacteria called Enterococcus Faecalis. This is an opportunistic pathogen that can make you very sick. A lot of countries, like Australia and Canada don’t allow products that contain this bacteria in their country.

There’s a great deal of disagreement in the alternative health field over this ingredient and proponents of Threelac argue that they use a different strain that is supposedly not harmful. Well, my feeling is that even if that’s true, I wouldn’t want to take the risk of any strain. My own experience proved to me that my body developed an infection.

I decided that people should really know that not everyone is having great experiences with Threelac and I posted my review of Threelac on my site so that people could hear both sides of the story and make an informed decision.

After I posted my review on my site, I started to get quite a few customers who shared with me that they got very sick from taking it. I also get a lot of emails from people who thank me for sharing my honest experience and say they have experienced the same thing.

Last week I received an email from someone who says that when they started taking Threelac it gave them stabbing pain in their perineum, the shakes and shivers, sweating, inability to sleep, burning throat and burning in the left eye. Not only that, after they stopped taking it, the symptoms continued. They can’t make it go away.

I find this very disturbing. What the heck is going on here? Why is it that some people have no negative reactions and other people have violent reactions?

Well, I still believe it basically boils down to body chemistry and vulnerability. I think it depends on how severe you’re Candida overgrowth is and how susceptible you are to not only the bacteria that is in the product, but also the yeast and sugars which are added to feed the bacteria. It appears that some bodies, perhaps one’s that have a weaker immune system or a less functional liver are prone to develop an infection when exposed to this bacteria, while other people with a stronger constitution have no problem.

Proponents of the product feel the negative symptoms must be die off, but I disagree. I’ve been dealing with Candida for about 20 years and I’ve taken about every product out there and endured some horrific die off, but I have never experienced what I felt with this product.. What I had was clearly a bacterial infection.

Additionally, I received an email from another holistic health professional who had the same experience as mine and she told me that Threelac’s own information states that the product should not be used it you have leaky gut syndrome. I don’t have a package of Threelac to read and verify if that’s true, but if it is that’s absurd. Almost anyone with severe Candida overgrowth has leaky gut syndrome. She concluded that the leaky gut allows the bacteria in Threelac to enter the bloodstream and becomes pathogenic at that point. Which sounds like another logical explanation.

I don’t recommend Threelac to anyone, because I think it’s better to be safe than sorry. Maybe you’ll be one of those who will be okay with it and maybe you won’t. I would exercise extreme caution before giving it a try, but that’s my particular preference. However, you’ll find many holistic and alternative health practitioners who do recommend it freely.

I recommend caution not only in regard to Threelac, but any new product you haven’t tried. Always do a little research and see what other people saying. The alternative health field is not immune to scams or ineffective treatment. Unfortunately, the fact that so many people are now taking an interest in alternative and holistic medicine, makes it even more vulnerable. I’m not saying that is the case with this particular product, I’m just saying that it’s always best to be an aware and informed consumer regardless of what product your considering.

How about you, has it made you sick? Do you have a Threelac experience you’d like to share?

{ 168 comments… add one }

• Shair July 30, 2009, 5:42 pm

I came across your website today as I am presently taking Threelac and had some “die off symptoms” and wanted to see if anyone else experienced the same. I see that some have. I took Threelac because of severe acne and food allergies that developed as a result of Candida according to my holistic doctor. I to think Threelac is a Godsend, but would like to hear others input. The first week of taking Threelac I felt wonderful and my acne that i dealt with for years completely cleared up. It was amazing. I decided at the beginning of week 3 to up the dose and took 3-4 packs a day and then I begin to get ill. I initially had night sweats, chills, fever, fatigue for the 5 days. Now I have a sore throat, headache, dry mouth and extreme fatigue. This has gone on for a whole week. I thought it was die off and decided today to look and see what I could find on the net. Yesterday i cut my does to 1 pack and will see how I feel. Any suggestions? Also, will these symptoms go away? I feel like I have the flu and I have not been sick in over 10 years.

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins July 30, 2009, 7:27 pm

Hi Teri,

Sorry, no I don’t have any personal experience with any of their other products.

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins July 30, 2009, 7:35 pm

Hi Ken,

Yes, that it is a possibility with some antifungals. It depends on how the antifungal kills the Candida. Some are worse than others.

This can be a very significant road block for many people as the symptoms can be unbearable.

Although it could possibly be life threatening in some cases, that’s probably not the case the majority of the time. Most people will just be extremely miserable and sick and feel like they are dying.

This is usually viewed as die off and some people are able to reduce the suffering by doing enemas, taking charcoal tablets, bentonite clay and high doses of vitamin C.

However I always advise that if symptoms are too severe, then a different antifungal should be sought.

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins July 30, 2009, 7:47 pm

Hi Shair,

Yes, many of us have had similar symptoms with this product. I’ve already shared my thoughts, opinion and feelings on this topic in my post above and on my review page also mentioned above. Be sure to read both and all the responses to this post and visit the links I mention numerous times.

Then you’ll have to make your own determination on whether it’s die off or a reaction to the product itself. There’s no way we can make that call.

It’s possible that you didn’t experience die off until you increased the dose, or it’s possible you didn’t experience a reaction to the bacteria until you increased the dose.

Symptoms went away for some people, but did not for others.

• steve August 4, 2009, 7:47 pm

Hi all, I just wanted to add to the discussion.
    The FDA does not approve of any supplement so that point is moot.
    Besides, the FDA is worthless (look at the harmful drugs the FDA DOES approve!).
    I have been using Sedona Labs iFlora, which seems to at least help my IBS. I also find Kyodophilous 9 to be of some help.
    It can be very confusing trying to find the right probiotic to use so trial and error is usually the best way to go. Some people may need more bifidus, some may require more acidophilous so that may be why one product may work great for someone and not for someone else.
    Of course, none of them should make you feel worse and I am going to skip trying the Threelac.
    Thanks for the warnings.

• Rosie August 6, 2009, 12:04 am

I am a Three lac user as well… However I don’t know what to think of the product.. I take about 2 packets a week maybe not even that.. but when I take it I get an upset stomach that usually lasts about a day…. Sometimes when I take it nothing happens as in I don’t go to the bathroom… so I dont know what to think… I personally never take medications unless its serious… I like to take the holistic approach.. I started taking this because I had pcos(pretty much it’s when you don’t have a period. Going on 7 years now) hoping that what ever caused this will be eliminated out of my body and my body will go back to a natural state.. well it didn’t work for me and now I also have type 2 diabeties….

• Alfred J. Barrera August 8, 2009, 6:57 pm

I just started taking threelac today, and i feel very out of bodied/fog minded/and out of it. Will this pass? Should I continue taking it? Or should i just say this isn’t for me and try another way. Maybe i should take it for a week and see how i feel.

• Irina August 12, 2009, 11:25 am

hi. I am Irina. I wanted to buy Threelac but now I see that it won’t help me. I was on a diet for two weeks and then I quit. I take oregano oil and coconut oil but it doesn’t help much. I dunno what to do since I know that Threelac won’t help me and the diet isn’t very helpful either.

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins August 17, 2009, 9:31 am

Hi Alfred,

I’m sorry I can’t tell you whether you should continue taking it or not. You will have to do your research, weight the pros and cons and make the decision you think is best for you.

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins August 17, 2009, 9:36 am

Hi Irena,

The diet must be followed for more than 2 weeks and it must be adhered to quite strictly. Most people see improvements by simply removing sugar from the diet.

Be sure to read the entire section of my site on Candida that can be found here:

There are many factors that need to be addressed. Controlling Candida overgrowth requires a long-term and comprehensive approach.

• Kacy September 26, 2009, 7:06 am

Thank you very much for sharing your thorough research it is a big help.
    Sincerely,
    Kacy A.

• Keith S October 30, 2009, 1:18 pm

Three years ago my daughter had been diagnosed with chrons / collitis and was having serious side effects from prednisone and Imuran. I wondered if it was a candida problem and decided to stopped medical treatment for a short period. We used ThreeLac for 1 months at two packets a day then 1 packet for the next month. She has had no sympthoms or digestive problems since. So yes we support Threelac.

• Mimi November 4, 2009, 6:30 am

Hi,
    With regards to taking probiotics whilst on antibiotics .. this can be very dangerous. It nearly killed me. When your body and immune system have become so weak from prolonged CF/FM etc, what can happen is that the probiotics and antibiotics ‘clash’ attempting to do opposite things in your body and my (completely out of the blue) pancreatic attack nearly finished me off. This is not so unusual, it also happened to some 24 patients at a Uni in Holland who were on a medical trial. When you’re really ill, beware of taking antibiotics and probiotics at the same time, your body may not be able to handle this. Not many people are aware of this. Not many people (including me) realise how delicate our immune system and health can become after prolonged illnesses.

Great blog Cynthia, thank you.

Mimi

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins November 7, 2009, 11:50 am

Hi Mimi

Wow, I’m sorry you went through such an ordeal. I have never heard of this kind of reaction before, however the one thing I know for sure about anyone with FMS, CFS, MCS etc., is that we often do not respond to treatments in the same manner as the general population and anything is possible. I did some research and can’t find other experiences like this or the Holland situation that you mentioned. Do you have a link to this event?

Although I believe it is certainly possible that it was the acidophilus and the antibiotic, I would also say that it could have been a variety of different contributing factors. I have had pancreatic inflammation and attacks that came out of nowhere in response to environmental toxins, certain food combinations and even terpines from natural vegetation. It could also have been the antibiotic itself, the bacteria itself got in the pancreas or the antibiotic caused Candida to infiltrate the pancreas or a combination of these things.

So I would encourage others reading this post to take caution and be aware of Mimi’s experience, but not assume that they shouldn’t take acidophilus with an antibiotic because we have no way to know for sure. Many doctors recommend taking acidophilus with an antibiotic, while others say you should wait till you’re done with the antibiotic because it will be futile. Each person will have to make the decision they feel is best.

On the other hand, anyone with a health condition should always be aware that their organs and systems may not respond as expected and be careful with any method they choose.

Thanks for sharing Mimi.

• Mimi November 7, 2009, 5:42 pm

Hi Cynthia,

Thank you for your blog, it is not only very informative but also you are validating people’s experiences which is near enough unheard of nowadays. Thank you for that.
    I learn something new every time I visit your site.

Links to dutch study http://www.foodnavigator.com/Science-Nutrition/Dutch-patients-die-after-taking-probiotics
    and also
    and a bonus one on pancreatis which arrived in my email this morning

Just to clarify, I took antibiotics and probiotics at the same time orally, not by IV as mentioned in the study. Not was I aware that I had a ‘serious’ problem with my pancreas at the time.

Thank you Cynthia.

Mimi

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins November 10, 2009, 11:07 am

Hi Mimi,

Thanks for the links. You did not mention the very crucial fact that the people in this study already had acute pancreatitis. It’s important anytime you share information on a blog that you share all the facts, so people are not misled. Not including all the facts is how misinformation gets passed along.

The people in this study were not taking an antibiotic with their probiotics. So it “was not” a combination of antibiotics and probiotics that caused them to develop a pancreatitic attack, as you indicated in your earlier comment. It was also not the cause of their death.

These people already had acute pancreatitis “before” taking the acidophilus. They were being treated for acute pancreatitis and took acidophilus only. Antibiotics are not mentioned in this study.

These people did not have MCS, FMS or CFS or any other health conditions — they had acute pancreatitis. Therefore we cannot draw the conclusion that anyone other than someone with acute pancreatitis might have a problem with acidophilus. And the key word here is “might.” The health researchers in this study do not know what caused the deaths. They think it was something related to the acidophilus, but they don’t know for sure. It could have been the result of many different things and may have had nothing to do with acidophilus.

It’s also important to note that the people in this study were in intensive care and received the probiotics through a feeding tube directly into the intestines. Additionally, nine people died in the control group as well – people who didn’t take acidophilus.

It would be expected that someone in the acute phase of pancreatitis would react differently to a treatment modality than someone with another health condition.

This study has nothing to do with taking an antibiotic and acidophilus together.

The effects exhibited in this study would be unique to people with acute pancreatitis. It would not extend to the rest of the population or other health conditions.

This study does not indicate that we should not combine antibiotics and probiotics.

Your third link is about appendicitis, not pancreatitis.

From what you’re saying it sounds like you may have had a pre-existing condition with your pancreas that you were not aware of, that is likely what resulted in your pancreatic attack. We cannot jump to conclusions that other people with other health conditions would have the same result when taking an antibiotic and acidophilus. We cannot conclude the antibiotics and the acidophilus were the cause of your attack.

• Mimi November 10, 2009, 9:22 pm

Hi Cynthia,

Thank you for you response, I’ve sent you a rather lengthy explanation and clarification. I apologise to anyone who felt misled by the info I posted. This was certainly not my intention. My experience was and is real and I would not want any one else to have the same with fatal outcome.

God bless

Mimi

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins November 12, 2009, 12:00 pm

Hi Mimi,

I’m not saying your experience wasn’t real and I understand your desire to inform others. I’m just saying that the Dutch study is not the same as your experience because they were not taking antibiotics. I’m also saying that the Dutch study does not support the possibility that antibiotics and acidophilus shouldn’t be taken together because antibiotics are not mentioned in this study. I’m also saying that both your experience and the Dutch study occurred in people with pancreas issues, so therefore if there is an issue with acidophilus it is occurring only in people with pancreatitis.

Yes, people with health conditions should always be careful with any treatment method, however we don’t want to frighten people from taking acidophilus with information that may or may not actually be related to acidophilus. Acidophilus provides most people with healthy benefits. Each person should follow their doctors advice on whether to take them with an antibiotic or after.

• Sam November 29, 2009, 9:51 pm

Cynthia,

I have been having what I’m thinking to be Candida-related problems for several months now. I have been suffering with recurring bacterial/yeast infections and just recently a UTI. It feels like I can’t completely get rid of the infections. Accompanied with them I have strange body aches (my skin feels more sensitive to the touch in certain spots on my body), headaches, dizziness, stuffiness/congestion, lower back pain, and digestive problems. I was put on antibiotics every time I was diagnosed with an infection and I feel like that only made things worse. I researched Candida and I matched up my symptoms to a majority of the ones I found, and even took online tests to see if I could conclude that I’m having yeast-related problems – all of which made my assumptions seem correct. I want to see a doctor and talk to them about this to see if I’m taking the right approach, but I feel like it might be in vain because it seems like very few doctors are well-educated about this. And quite frankly I feel like the crazy amount of doctor visits I have been making lately have only ended up in more antibiotics, which do not seem to be having a positive impact on my health.

I purchased a whole slough of new groceries to try to begin my Candida cleansing diet, which I know is going to be very hard to follow but I’m tired of feeling sick and I’m determined to help myself. However, since I’m new to this I’m not exactly sure how to approach it the right way. Do sugars need to be completely cut out of your diet, or is it okay to have at least a small intake daily? I feel like it’s near impossible to completely cut sugars out of your life. Especially since half the things they sell in stores include at least a little amount. I bought as many whole grain and gluten-free products as I could find, though. I also started taking a multi-nutrient probiotic supplement today called “Candida Forte,” however I know nothing about its effectiveness. I’m hoping it’ll work for me, though.

I also was considering purchasing Threelac because I had read some positive statements about it online, but I then came across your blog and read other peoples’ comments and now I’m a bit skeptic. I don’t know if I should give it a try or stay on the same path I started today. I’m guessing I’ll just try the diet change accompanied with the supplement I bought and if that doesn’t seem to do the trick I can always try a different route.

Thank you.

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins December 5, 2009, 12:22 pm

Hi Sam,

Yes, sugar should be cut from the diet completely. It is the most crucial aspect when addressing Candida overgrowth. If there were only one food that had to be removed, sugar would be it. It is impossible to reduce yeast if one continues to eat sugar.

Initially it is difficult to cut sugar, but it is not impossible. It requires making a major adjustment in the way you shop and the way you eat. If you pick the right foods, they will not contain sugar. A diet that consists of nothing but whole foods will not contain sugar – unprocessed meat, fresh or frozen vegetables, unsweetened yogurt, raw nuts, seeds, fresh or frozen fruit, unrefined oils like olive, walnut and sunflower. This is the diet we should be eating.

Sugar is not only bad for us because of Candida, it is detrimental to our health for many reasons. It is the easiest and most effective step we can take to improve our health.

You can learn more about sugar on this page

And I have a lot of info on the Candida diet on this page

• Brittany January 10, 2010, 11:26 pm

Hi Cynthia

I’ve been dealing with alot of intestinal issues for about the past year in the half and I just couldnt pin point what happened.
    I’m moody, lost my sex drive, I have trouble passing stool, I have a itchy anal, I’m bloated all the time, I have terrible gas which causes me to pass gas like every five minutes and I’ve had vaginal issues as well.

I wasn’t experiencing this before but all of a sudden it started one day and Ive been dealing with it ever since. I stared researching my symptons and came accross the idea that i too could be suffering from an excess of candida in my intestine so I immediately set out to heal my self. Im taking garlic supplements, drinking apple cider vinegar tonics, pro-biotics and Ive started the anit-candida diet (which by the way is hard and limiting.) I can say that I haven’t noticed a huge difference (it hasn’t been much time since I started trying to heal myself) but I want to know what do you recommend?

I have taken notes on different natural remedies as I would like to save myself a trip from the doctor (who probably wouldn’t help anyways) but I’m desperate. I came accross threelac but reviews are fishy so I dont know what to do?

I’ve been on the birth control pill for about 3 1/2 years straight without an break plus i live a stressful lifestyle and eat a not so good diet so I attributed that to why I had the imbalance of flora. I recently discontinued my birth control so i don’t really know if that will help. all i know is that im on a tight budget and I want relief but I would rather spend money on something will work instead of wasting my money on crap that will just mask the problem or make it worst.

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins January 11, 2010, 11:04 am

Hi Brittany,

Yes, these are all very typical symptoms of Candida overgrowth. My recommendations are written about extensively in the Candida section of my site and my blog, so it would be redundant and too time consuming to rewrite them all here. I encourage you to read all of them which can be found at the following links:

However, here are a few thoughts specific to your issues you mentioned. The birth control pill is one of the main contributors to Candida overgrowth. It is impossible to make progress if one continues to take the pill.

The diet is crucial. Yes, I understand it is difficult, but it must be done. It will get easier as you go along. It is impossible to make progress if one continues to eat sugar, white flour, refined foods, drink caffeine, too many complex carbohydrates etc. The primary diet should basically consist of meat and low carb vegetables. If you’re still eating sugar and refined foods, you’re not likely to see any results.

There are many different strains of Candida and some are very resistant to treatment. Your Candida may already be resistant to garlic and apple cider vinegar doesn’t work for everyone – it made my Candida worse.

Many of the symptoms you mention above can and often are indicative of food sensitivities as well as Candida. Candida and food sensitivities go hand in hand. Where you find one, you find the other. I would encourage you to find out if you sensitivities, which can be done with an ALCAT test, here are links to the test itself and pages that provide info about it.

Some of the symptoms you experience can also be indicative of a gluten intolerance which can also be identified with the ALCAT test as well.

Finding effective ways to manage and reduce stress is also crucial as high levels of stress increase the level of glucose – blood sugar in the body and this will aggravate Candida. Additionally on going excessive stress damages the adrenal glands.

Candida is very complex and involves many variables, adrenal issues, immune system, pH, metal toxicity, colon functioning, sensitivities, detoxification, thyroid, hypoglycemia, liver functioning, etc. all play a role in overgrowth and must be addressed.

If you’d like to have all the information you need to know in one place, you can find it in my book Candida Secrets which can be found at this link.

Addressing Candida overgrowth is a journey. It takes time, persistence and commitment, as there is a great deal to learn and everyone is unique and must find what works for their body.

• Patricia March 3, 2010, 6:56 pm

After doing some (what I thought was thorough) research on Threelac, and only seeing positive things, I decided to purchase a box.
    Day 1 – Diarrhea within 3 hours of taking 1st packet
    Day 2 – feeling o.k.
    Day 3 – Severe Vaginal Yeast Infection and Sever UTI.
    Stopped taking Threelac and symptoms started disappearing.

I didn’t think that Threelac could cause this severe of a reaction so I started taking Threelac again about 3 days after I stopped it.
    Day 4 – Felt o.k.
    Day 5 – Symptoms started returning,but thought I would try to push through it.
    Day 6 – Severe Vaginal Yeast Infection and Thrush. Also Severe UTI again, with blood in urine.
    Stopped taking Threelac and went on my usual natural remedy to cure yeast infection and UTI. It didn’t work! I tried many days to get rid of the infections, but it was only getting worse. My kidney’s starting aching, then I broke down and went to the doctor and got antibiotics. I’ve been antibiotic free for for around 8 months now, by using holistic and all natural products, until I started taking Threelac. I feel like a failure, and it makes me so angry that I would have this kind of reaction to a product that is supposed to make it better. In my personal opinion I would not recommend this product to anyone because of the reaction that I had.

• Kristin April 2, 2010, 8:38 am

I was going to buy threelac…Maybe not now. A bit scary. Damn candida.
    I think its funny though, the website called, Candida Support .org
    pretends to be a ‘help’ website but is just seems to be an agent for threelac and they say,
    ‘One thing you can know for sure, when it comes to Candida products, if a claim sounds ludicrous it is ludicrous.’
    HaHa! Doesnt threelac’s miracle solution sound a bit ludicrous???

• Sandy April 5, 2010, 5:17 pm

Cynthia,
    Hi, found this blog while trying to find my threelac
    at a cheaper rate. Have been using it for 2 years,
    1 packet a day before bed. Haven’t had a vaginal
    yeast infection in that time which is a record.
    However, in the past year I’ve had what I call episodes which come on out of the blue,( chills,
    body ache, muscle ache, sensitivity, indigestion,
    etc.) and have caused me to see my physician,
    orthopedist, rheumatologist..had blood work done and the only thing they can find is vitamin D deficiency. Next is the neurologist. Any chance this could be from using the threelac?
    I really thought it worked well for me keeping the infections at bay, maybe these symptoms
    are something else developing but the Dr’s all
    shrug their shoulders and tell me there’s nothing wrong & good luck finding out what it is. I’ve had yeast issues all my adult life, thought it was finally under control. What’s your thoughts?

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins April 6, 2010, 9:48 pm

Hi, Sandy,

Well, I have no way of knowing what it could be with certainty. It could be the Threelac, as some of those symptoms are what some people experienced when taking it. However, in my opinion it sounds like you are still having Candida symptoms. Those are also symptoms of Candida overgrowth. You may have had improvement in your vaginal yeast, but the yeast may still be present and causing problems in other areas of the body like the muscles and gut. Those symptoms could also be a reaction to an undiagnosed food sensitivity, allergy or intolerance or a chemical or mold sensitivity. These usually occur in conjunction with Candida. You can learn more about this at this link http://www.holistichelp.net/alcat-test.html

It’s also possible your symptoms could be a combination of both these issues. If it were me, I would stop taking the Threelac and switch to some different antifungals and see if I had improvement. Vaginal yeast can be cleared up quite easily by inserting acidophilus capsules in the vagina.

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins April 6, 2010, 9:56 pm

Yeah, I agree, Kristin. Pretty ironic.

• Craig April 7, 2010, 4:54 pm

Hello,

My wife has been having many health problems that we associated with her 18 amalgam fillings. We had planned to have them removed and starting taking products required before the removal. My wife then started losing handfulls of hair every day. We had two quadrants replaced and then had to wait for fiancial reasons. During the time (4 months) my wife has continued to lose large amounts of hair. We have been to doctors and all tested for hormones and thyroid issues (as she just stopped breasting our daughter). All that was fine and then I started researching and believe her problem to be candida. I order the Threelac this morning and then later found this site. I have read many sites and found only positive reactions until now. This is a shock and I will probably just try to sent to material back as my wife is very sensitive to everything we have tried for the mercury. My wife is 33 years old and has lost 75-80% of her hair that has never been cut in her life. I have taken the product myself 2 years ago and noticed nothing (good or bad). Was hoping this to finally be the answer to my wifes help problems but all the bad comments have me scared.

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins April 7, 2010, 9:07 pm

Hi Craig,

I’m sorry you’ve been through such an ordeal.

Having amalgams removed is serious business, so be sure you are using someone who is following the proper protocol by Hal Huggins. It is essential that the protocol be followed.

Hair falling out can have a variety of possible, causes, hypothyroidism, hormones, heavy metal toxicity, candida, liver problems and nutritional deficiencies.

Be sure you are seeing a doctor who is testing the thyroid and hormones properly. Standard testing is not reliable. Here is the proper way to test the thyroid

Hormones should be tested through saliva. You might want to test for nutritional deficiencies.

Additionally, make sure your wife isn’t using any hair dyes, perms etc., they contain toxins that can make the hair fall out.

Candida is almost always a factor in these kinds of health issues, and it is much more complex than taking a product like Threelac. I have an ebook that covers all the bases, if you’re interested. It can be found here

Changing the diet is crucial. You can read about that here

All the best.

• Cathy May 18, 2010, 5:24 pm

I have been reading information on your blog and was wondering what you would think about my situation. My five year old daughter has had very bad skin issues for at least 3 years. She has had her share of ear infections and most of time she acts like she is tired. I was looking for something that would help her from itching her skin off. She just came off of an antibiotic for a staph skin infection and I was looking for some answers. We did the Candida spit test and it came back possitive. I did a little reserch and heard good things about Three Lac and how it could help with eczema so I ordered some and put her on it. It did help a lot with the itching but about 2 weeks after she started it, she also started to have a yellowish – green vaginal discharge. She never complained about pain so I let it go thinking it was die-off and it would stop. 3 months went by and then I took her to see the doctor, they did a culture that came back possitive for strep and put her on an antibiotic.
    I took her off of ThreeLac and other probiotics while she was on the antibiotic. After the course of antibiotic I put her back on ThreeLac and probiotics not thinking that might be what caused it in the first place. Two weeks after being back on ThreeLac she started again with the vaginal discharge with a fowl odor and a red rash. I then thought ThreeLac could have something to do with it and stopped giving it to her. She has been off of it for 2 weeks and her sympoms are the same if not getting worse.
    Do you think this could be a vaginal yeast infection and if so how would you recomend treating it in a child? I have come across information to use yogurt or acidophilus in the vagina. What do you think?

Cathy

• Deliyen May 18, 2010, 7:37 pm

I have bad experienced taking Threelac too, it was 4 years ago, after having severe candida, I tried Threelac for 5 months.
    At the begining, I have bad reaction that I supposed it was die off, then gradually I felt better and started to be able to eat fruits again without reaction and also nearly almost any food, but later on after 5 months, sudenly my vagina felt achy and ichy, unbearable, and my brain fog flare up again, it was so frightened, and I couldn’t drink any water from the tap, even after the water been boiled. so I just have to stop taking Threelac. for so long I asking myself, is it only me to have this bad reaction or is there any other person who have similar experience? Glad to know now that I am not the only one. Actually I was going to try again, but after reading this blog that confirm me that indeed Threelac is not always good for everyone.

• Deliyen May 18, 2010, 7:45 pm

I have taken probiotic that is good for me so far, is Nature’s biotic or Body biotic they call it now, I have it for three years now, but sadly, the last time I bought this probiotic, about a month ago, the custom at the Airport mailing centre held it up, saying I have no permit to import or that supplement is prohibitit entering New Zealand, where I live now.
    That is why I was thinking to try Threelac another go, out of desperation, because we can buy Threelac in NZ. But before I buy, I better searching information that able to convince me it is good and save, but now after reading this blog I better not to buy Threelac anymore for the rest of my life.

• Sue May 20, 2010, 12:20 am

Hi Cynthia,
    I was about to try Threelac. I’m in Sydney Australia and wondered why it has to come from New Zealand. Thanks to you – now I know more! I have a fuzzy head and vision blurring, problems thinking and memory issues. Shaky inside, jumpy and hyper-vigilant. Weird nerve pains in my hand and foot. Touch a spot and get an “electric shock” type pain. Cold most of the time. Stomach feels sick in the mornings. Food always helps but sometimes it’s a struggle to eat, and I have to go slowly.-Mornings only – My appetite is good otherwise and my tummy sort of gnaws at me if I only eat 3 meals a day. I’m rarely bloated but have either diarrhea/soup or wind and I always need to go two or three times before I can get out of the house. I never crave sugar, I hate sweet stuff, but maybe I crave carbs.? I do like pickles and sour things. I need energy to be a long distance runner and bread and pasta feature heavily in my diet. 2008 and last year I spent lots of money on many tests. IGg in May 2008 came back with 72 foods I was positive for. Cut them out while marathon training and survived but nothing improved – after 6 months – and I was ‘starving’! Then read that I needed to fix up my leaky gut… After my Dad died in Dec. 2008 – in England – I was really sick. Energy kept going, vertigo, all sorts… Normal doctor’s tests showed fatty liver, (I don’t drink much!) pancreatic enzymes low, pottasium low, Progetserone 2, – low, and under active thyroid – only diagnosed from my low body temperature. He put me on enzymes and Thyroxine. I took the Thyroxine for 2 weeks because my Dad had been on it, then thought NO! it’s for life, and my thyroid playing up is probably a symptom not a cause. I’m a skinny 55kg. runner too by the way! Vertigo specialist/Neurologist said all ok and sent me to a psychologist saying I’d be fixed in two weeks. Believed it, but it didn’t work. Nothing wrong with my nerves either. Tried bio-identical hormones which I still take but still no real improvement. Also Iodine drops, L-glutamine, adreno complex, Multi vitamin, fish oil, Chinese herbs… Iron doesn’t seem to help and my levels are always skimming the bottom. Now on HCl type enyzmes. My energy came back a few months ago I think due to just going running despite it, and thinking that all of this is an emotional thing. Dr. Sarno and Monte Heuftle have been my reasons for going down this track. – TMS – I’m really believing this is the way to go. This can take time and sometimes I’m thinking I’m ok but only for a few hours, and then get frustrated, and this only keeps it going… The reason I am here then is because I was unsure whether Candida could be a TMS thing, and was just going to give Candida treatment a try if it was as easy as the Threelac people say! Clearly not. How do you really know if you have Candida? That saliva test?! Really? How do you know what strains of Candida? Do I have the right symptoms? Also what to do also as I am in Australia and products are plentiful but different to yours? Thanks for listening. Sue.

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins May 20, 2010, 11:11 am

Hi Cathy,

First of all ,I would recommend that you find a knowledgeable alternative health physician by going to the American Academy of Environmental Medicine and asking for a referral. http://www.aaemonline.org/

The symptoms your child has are indicative of Candida overgrowth and food sensitivities.

In my opinion it sounds like the Threelac is what caused the strep.

Since both times she took Threelac, she developed the vaginal symptoms, it is obviously the cause. That is one of the things it did to me as well.

Yes yogurt and acidophilus inserted in the vagina are very effective. However, the diet must be changed, antifungals should be taken, etc. Please read this on vaginal yeast and the entire Candida section of my site.

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins May 20, 2010, 11:26 am

Hi Sue,

Sorry you’ve been through the wringer. But this is a pretty traditional story for anyone with Candida. Yes, these are all indicative of Candida. Thyroid, leaky gut, hormonal imbalances, lacking in enzymes etc,. are all part of the Candida syndrome and do not improve if Candida overgrowth is not reduced.

There aren’t any lab tests that are reliable for diagnosing Candida. The best way to diagnose is the written questionnaire in Dr. Crooks book, The Yeast Connection. Your symptoms will tell you if you have Candida and you have all the classic symptoms. The spit test is not reliable. It may or may not identify Candida. It was created by the company who makes Threelac.

To address Candida overgrowth, the diet must be changed, antifungals must be taken, probiotics taken, and all other factors that contribute to Candida like heavy metals, food sensitivity, pH, adrenal function, environmental toxins, colon health etc. must be addressed. It requires a comprehensive approach. You can find everything you need to know throughout the pages of the site by doing a search for Candida. I have written about it extensively. Alternatively, if you want everything in one place, you can find a comprehensive overview in my book – Candida Secrets.

• Sue May 21, 2010, 2:56 am

Thanks Cynthia,
    I forgot to mention sinus drip/blocked nose and sometimes an episode of painful lumpy swollen red sores between vagina and further back. Not your usual thrush but it may be my sort.
    I’ll try your suggestions and find your book. We have plenty of products here, I’ll do my research!
    Thanks. Sue.

• Cathy May 23, 2010, 9:19 pm

Cynthia, thank you for your response. If ThreeLac is what caused the vaginal strep in my daughter, are anibiotics the only way to treat strep? I feel like I am in a crazy cycle of antibiotics and the effects of antibiotics. I was also wondering if Candida could test possitve for strep?
    Thank you for your help. I will be reading up on more of your information.

Cathy

• Gilly May 25, 2010, 7:04 pm

HI have read through this site and wondered if you have heard of this set of reactions? Had been ill with the usual stuff, gut problems and have since been diagnosed with IBS. Ok so that was already in place. Back in Feb 2009 took Threelac as I believed I also had an issue with sugars making me feel nauseous and hoped it might irradicate any bacterial imbalance.

First few days no problem. Then quite suddenly my tongue began to swell and my mouth flood with water every few minutes. I began to feel terribly sick and couldn’t eat at all for days plus my muscles stang as if something was coursing round my entire system. Have never felt so ill but the symtoms didn’t match anything on the die off list. Took Threelac in the end for around 3 weeks and then stopped it as assumed it must be that making me feel so ill.

Just over a year later my tongue still swells whenever I touch any form of sugar and am now unable to eat anything other than celery, old potatoes, meats and fish! Absolutely anything else and I feel utterly awful for days.

Have been through all the right procedures, got a dietician who believes its just all about elimination and reintroduction but my immune system is now so sensitive that almost all types of food cause an allergy type reaction to my tongue. Can the Threelac bacteria have caused some sort of constant infection on my tongue so that any food at all is enough to swell it up?

Totally bemused and have now seen top professor here in uk who’s only other suggestion is colon cancer or antibiotics for goodness sake.

No one seems to have a clue but I do know that I had no food intolerances before Threelac!

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins May 29, 2010, 10:43 am

Hi Gilly,

Wow, I’m sorry, that’s a pretty unique experience. I haven’t heard anything like that. Whenever I’m trying to determine if a supplement I’m taking is causing me a reaction I stop taking it until I get better and then take it again to see if I get the same effects. If I get the same effects then that makes it clear to me that it is the cause. However, since you’re reactions were so severe I wouldn’t try the Threelac again. It certainly could be that the Threelac triggered this issue. If I had no intolerances before Threelac and developed them during, then that seems like clear cut cause and effect to me, but I have no way of knowing for sure. Whenever I take a new supplement I only introduce one at time, so I can be certain which one it is that is causing problems if problems arise. You also have to analyze whether you made any other changes in your life at that time that may have contributed, like medications or environmental toxins. It sounds like your Candida level went through the ceiling and you need to reduce your level of overgrowth.

In the early years of my recovery I often got burning on the tongue from anything sweet. This is an indication that the Candida level is very high. If I were you, I would be alternating my antifungals like grapefruit seed extract, oregano oil and garlic and sticking only to meat and vegetables and taking acidophilus. I’d also do an enema weekly or get a colonic. Enemas or colonics will reduce the level of Candida in the body very quickly. I’d also brush my tongue with peroxide. This will kill the Candida in the mouth.

All the best

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins May 29, 2010, 10:50 am

Hi Cathy,

I’m sorry, but I don’ know the answer to that question. I don’t know a lot about strep. However bacterial infections in the vagina go hand in hand with Candida and usually improve when the Candida level is reduced. Many people find relief from vaginal bacteria by inserting acidophilus in the vagina. However, as I suggested above, I recommend finding an alternative medicine physician for your daughter.

• valarie May 29, 2010, 3:03 pm

hi – i was trying the threelac (along with my husband and two of my kids) my husband is doing fine with it, so is my son. my daughter developed a sore throat and a severely congested nose. me, i was doing fine until i developed a severe pain in the belly that came and went, then diarrhea for a whole day, until i ended up in the hospital for tests to see if it was appendicitis (which it wasn’t – they chalked it up to gas?!), but when i got home, i developed a 102.7 fever and ended up with strep throat. i haven’t had strep throat since, oh, like the early 80’s BEFORE I HAD MY TONSILS OUT!!! Now I’m on an antibiotic (after being completely bedridden for 2 1/2 days) and am feeling better. (except now, i’m constipated from not going for 3 days). I really do feel like this caused my strep (and possibly my belly issues). so i’m taking everyone off of it and just sticking with the colostrum supplement.

• David Ho June 6, 2010, 12:50 pm

Hi Cynthia,

I just finished the challenging task of reading all the comments on your blog as well as several of the entries you so kindly linked throughout your replies to comments.

I, as a human being, and a content consumer conscious online marketer am thankful for your honesty and value-added content. In support of your efforts I purchased and printed out your Candida Secrets book. I’ll have to chew through that throughout this week!

I’m a 26 year old guy who’s relevant medical history / symptoms consists of:

– two rounds of Acutane around the age of 13 – after failure with several antibiotic treatments for severe acne throughout teenage years that persists at a more manageable level today – nowadays I can keep most of it off my face though my back and chest continue to break out regularly.

– itchy anal hemmroids with occasional bloody bowel movements when I eat particularly bad developed early in my college years (~2005/6) – I still have that today.

– I went through a bought of depression during college though that had external social causation.

– I’ve also always thought there was a clarity in my mind that I lost somewhere around the time I took Accutane. I suppose you could call it an occasional cloudiness. More recently I had bouts of losing my train of thought when I was stressed to extremes and when there were far too many things on my mind. This has eased considerably when I relieve some of the pressures I put on my mind however I found it significant enough that it troubled me – I didn’t think it was normal.

– Gas, bloating, and excessive flatulence, upset stomach, and diarrea are a daily part of my life. I’ve had digestional issues since my early teens – and I’ve had bouts where I basically didn’t eat for a day to let my system calm down as anything I put inside seemed to irritate me.

– Semi-lactoseintollerance – for instance milk in the morning will send me to the toilet for hours – the same can be said for eating any creamy/processed cheese. If I eat any dairy close to bedtime the next morning is spent on the toilet in agony. However any dairy eaten in the middle of the day – as long as it’s not fake processed cheese – is absolutely fine.

I’ve had a strong feeling, which I’ve been supplementing with research lately, that the root cause of these symptoms in whole or in part is Candida – I was actually determined to purchase Threelac prior to reading everything here, and still am considering it as I don’t believe my level of infection to be too severe and my immune system is in pretty good shape (in my undereducated guestimation).

Do you think I’m on the right track? Any insight you can afford me outside of what’s in your book (I’ll collect that as I read through it this week :-D) would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks – David

P.s.- apologies for the wall-o-text!

• Lili July 18, 2010, 6:24 pm

Well I started threelac a week ago and on the first day had an immediate great reaction! tons of energy, my anxiety went, memory was clear as anything, it was just like i had taken a ritalin tablet. The next day i took it and nothing, then the next day and the next, nothing! BUT it did let me eat some carbs and dairy without getting that awful heartburn and after 2 more days my cravings for carbs and sweets was gone. BUT last night I had the worst anal and vaginal pain that kept me up all night and that in itself is enough for me to stop taking this!

• Faye August 2, 2010, 2:11 am

I took Threelac and the first time it seemed ok, but the second time I noticed no difference except to my pocketbook. I was pointed toward another product called Symbion for Life and tried it but became pretty sick and weak, although I am not sure if it is from the Symbion. I did some research and some of the ingredients in both of these are being called dangerous on many websites. I am almost at the point now of avoiding all these mail-order type probiotics altogether as I can’t afford them and they are not seeming to help me much anyway.

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins August 12, 2010, 12:34 am

Hi David,

I apologize it has taken me so long to respond to you. Your post got put aside when I was busy so I could come back to it and then it got lost in the shuffle. I just stumbled upon it by accident.

So hopefully better late than never will apply here.

Yes, I do believe you are on the right track. All your symptoms are classic symptoms of someone with Candida and you should find some relief by addressing this issue. Everything you need to know is in the book you bought and on the pages of this blog and site.

However, your symptoms are also common in hidden food sensitivities, so be sure to look into that aspect as well on this page. Food sensitivities and Candida usually go hand in hand.

Additionally, accutane has been linked to a variety of serious gastrointestinal disorders and has been involved in a variety of law suits. So that may have a played a part in your symptoms as well.

All the best.

• Gio October 11, 2010, 4:09 pm

Hey Cynthia!

I am wondering about using symbion.. im having a Candida infection for two years now…

You recomend it? im already having die offs begause of the Candida diet.. so I already have a lott off really annoying symptoms, so what do i got to lose right? ;)

Cheers

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins October 12, 2010, 10:55 pm

Hi Gio,

I personally haven’t tried Symbion and haven’t worked with anyone who has. However, it contains a bacteria that is related to the controversial enteroccus bacteria that is in Threelac, that I am not very comfortable with, so I wouldn’t use it myself.

• Admin - Cynthia Perkins November 9, 2010, 9:52 am

Hi Lisa,

Since your question was somewhat extensive and required a substantial amount of time to respond to, I converted it into a full size blog post and moved it so others could benefit as well. You can find your question and my response on this page

• Sarah November 28, 2010, 4:17 pm

I tried giving my 4 year old autistic son Threelac because of all the rave reviews I have read. I actually saw improvements in the first week. After that it all went down hill. He developed severe OCD behaviors and also aggresiveness that he did not have before. He has started biting and scratching when he is in the middle of a tantrum. At first I thought it was die-off like everyone else, but the tantrums were getting out of control so I decided to stop. I also tried giving him clay baths and activated charcoal while taking the Threelac to alleviate symptoms but nothing helped. It has been almost 2 weeks since we stopped and he is still having these horrible episodes. He is also putting his hands down his pants a lot and rubbing his genitals on things. I’m thinking he has a UTI but I stay away from antibiotics as much as I can and I am wondering if there is something I can give him to help. Please help! I desperately want my son back the way he was!

• Catherine November 30, 2010, 12:09 pm

Dear Cynthia and All Others

I have been reading this page with interest and feel blessed that I am no longer suffering from Candida.

When I first came to the U.S. in 2005, suffering acutely from Candida, I bought a product online called ‘Target Candida’. I remember the Internet was FULL of this product. Has anyone ever heard of it? It was in a sachet form and after taking it for a few months my Candida died off, and has never recurred. Prior to taking the ‘Target Candida’ I had done years of strict Candida diet and a few severe liver cleanse – nothing worked. Only after this product did I feel as if I was healed. For the last five years I have eaten a normal diet, drunken wine in moderation, and have never suffered a relapse.

I now want to help a friend and when I came to search online could no longer find ‘Target Candida’. Then I began to read about Threelac and the whole can of worms opened up again. I remembered how scared I had been to try ‘Target Candida’ and wondered whether it was all a hoax. Now, after reading about Threelac, I am too nervous to recommend it to my friend.

If anyone out there has heard of ‘Target Candida’ please write about it and let’s try to get to the bottom of this mystery – it may help suffers out there.

Love and Light